On 10 May 2004, at 12:55, Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

On Fri, 7 May 2004, Simon Kitching wrote:

I guess the recent proposal to bundle the (un-renamed) ArrayStack class
from collections with BeanUtils falls into (2) or (4). I initially voted
+1 on this, but have to admit I'm starting to rethink this. This
particular case does have some redeeming features, in that ArrayStack is
a very stable class and so bypasses *in this case* the concerns
expressed by Martin Cooper. And it's only a temporary solution until
BeanUtils 2.0 which will remove the dependency on this class from the
public API. But I would agree it's not a good precedent.

Ok, feel free to tear into my arguments :-)

Note that copying ArrayStack directly from collections to beanutils isn't
really fixing any versioning issues, and may even be introducing some. If
the goal is to remove the dependency on ArrayStack entirely, then why not
simply do so? I don't see how the interim dependency on
commons-collections is substantially different from an interim dependency
on a class copied from commons-collections.

i'd be equally happy copying the classes but the source seemed easier...

the main problem is that there are incompatibilities between collections 2.1 and collections 3.0. having a definite dependency on either would have caused problems downstream for users. this is a definite worry for downstream library, framework and application developers who use digester and beanutils. (the size of the new collections jar is a secondary consideration.)

i'd have been happy to depend on some sort of small and compatible jar distributed by the collections team but stephen has looked into splitting up collections and it doesn't seem to make much sense (at least for most users). if the collections team were able to ship a jar satisfying the needs of beanutils, digester (and the downstream framework and container developers who depend on them) then i'd be happy to remove the source and depend on that instead.

- robert