From: "Martin Cooper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Would you prefer that the components that are "foisting" logging on you
did
> no logging? Or would you prefer that they each implemented their own
version
> of Commons Logging instead?
Its not something I've looked into, or especially want to. Just consider me
unconvinced as to why I need a logging jar when its not the actual
functionality (beanutils/digester etc.) I'm trying to obtain. (logging is a
whole other thread, lets not go there ;-)

> > I'm in favour of these separations from a [collections] POV because many
> > projects have dependencies on collections.jar when they don't need to,
> > foisting [collections] on people when it shouldn't be, giving
> > collections a bad name.
>
> The other side of this coin is that we effectively encourage people to not
> take advantage of all the useful stuff in Collections, and duplicate it or
> do their own thing, just to avoid the dependency. That is just wrong.

I disagree, its about encouraging users to make a POSITIVE choice to take
collections, rather than it being a negative one, forced because they
actually wanted something else.

> > I understand the difficulty other committers have with this. Its not
> > 'normal' coding practice, and flies in the face of 'normal' code
> > reuse, but
> > it is the Right Thing to do.
>
> You forgot to add "in [your] opinion". Or perhaps you really did mean that
> you know what's right, and those of us who disagree with your POV are just
> not smart enough to understand? ;-)
;-) Sometimes my emails can sound preachy! This is something I do feel
strongly about, and its because I've been converted. If you search the
archives, you'll find me arguing for collections and io and just about
everything else to depend on lang, and so on. My experience here has changed
my POV.

Although I disagreed at the time, Rodney Waldorf's views here
http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg13991.html did
have an impact on me. The subject matter here is slightly different, but the
essential issues are the same.

Stephen