On 4 May 2004, at 22:23, David Graham wrote:

--- robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 24 Apr 2004, at 04:19, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

<snip>

From what I can see on TOMCAT-DEV, the Tomcat developers think that
there are backwards incompatibilities for Tomcat users (beyond any
issues that might affect Tomcat itself).  Based on that, I've
certainly been one of those casting aspersions.  If we're all full of
it, a [collections] statement on the nature and scope of backwards
compatibility, pointing out the error of our (Tomcat developers and
my) ways, would go a long ways towards addressing this concern.

Struts is shortly going to be in the same boat ... the dependency of
Struts itself on collections is only that inherited from
Digester/BeanUtils; but the Struts developers will want to ensure that

an upgrade to Collections 3.0 won't cause undue problems for users of
Struts, before we switch.

i've been wondering if a possible solution might be to include org.apache.commons.collections.ArrayStack and org.apache.commons.collections.Buffer in with a new beanutils release. these are very stable classes and only the javadocs have changed since the 2.1 collections release.

I don't have beanutils source in front of me but why do we even need
ArrayStack at all? It doesn't seem to do anything that standard Java
collection classes don't already provide. I'm assuming Buffer is only
needed because ArrayStack implements it? It would be nice to make a clean
break from Commons Collections and not include duplicate classes from its
jar.

we screwed up :(

a reference (in a public API) to the collection packaged version was introduced and not picked up before it had been released.

- robert