Stephen Colebourne wrote:

From: "David Graham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

What happens if someone is using both digester and collections? Which
ArrayStack class would be used when they're in the same package in
different jars? Hoping that the class doesn't change seems rather
optimistic and error prone.

Its a judgement on the stability of the classes in question. Buffer is an interface, and thus doesn't change. ArrayStack is very old and stable.

I am also in favour of digester moving to not requiring the classes ASAP as
well ;-)

FWIW, we did indeed decouple Digester's *direct* dependence on [collections]. This was done by copying the ArrayStack class (with a package rename, since it was only used internally and not publicly exposed) into o.a.c.digester. The only remaining dependency is the one inherited from [beanutils].

I like copying the class without a package rename as a medium-term step while we deprecate and create a new public method that returns a standard collection class instead of a [collections] class. The chances of a bad change on the [collections] version of this class are low; especially in the kind of time frame we are talking about.

Stephen

Craig