Well I'm not very familiar with the codec project (just went and looked over the web page). I guess this depends on your definition of what a codec is. The multipart encoding project is mainly useful for a java based web browser to a program that needs to emulate such activity. It allows a set of files and name/value pairs to be encoded according to RFC2388 (http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2388.html). It does take a set of data and encode it in a standard way and actually uses the binary and string encoder/decoder classes from the codec project. A similar decoder could be easily written and may actually be of interest to the FileUpload commons project as they are already decoding multipart/form-data to parse out files uploaded via a HTML form. I know this isn't much of a proposal but I do see a use for a multipart encoder/decoder library since there isn't really much available at the current time and of all the projects codec is the best fit for the function of the library.

-Eric Dalquist

Gary Gregory wrote:

Hello,

The only person I see in codec-multipart/project.xml is:

       <developer>
           <name>Mark Diggory</name>
           <id>mdiggory</id>
           <email>mdiggory at apache.org</email>
       </developer>

I am the codec 1.3 release manager for now and I cannot say much about
multipart apart from knowing that it exists and that volunteers are
welcome.

Perhaps you could discuss on this list the pros and cons for a multipart
addition to the next feature release of codec. A proposal type of thing
;-)

Gary