> Thinking more about the structure of the Encoder and Decoder
interfaces

I've never been crazy about these various interfaces. In our company's
product at least, we've never needed pluggable impls. Some of the Codecs
are so different that it does not look like being able to replace one
with another makes sense. OTOH, having interfaces gives you the option
of using and creating pluggable guys, which is fine.

All of this to say that I would not initially worry that much about
fitting a new package in these interfaces unless you believe that
"plugability" is a requirement.

> of the encoder would be via an InputStream.

This is indeed quite different from the current design. There have been
discussions on this list about stateful and streamable decoder.

Perhaps now is the time to revive these discussions.

Gary

[EMAIL PROTECTED]