On 11/12/05, robert burrell donkin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-11-12 at 13:44 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > > has anyone run a long stress test?
> > >
> > > if not, i'm willing to code up something and set it running on my debian
> > > box for a few days. i'd appreciate a second pair of eyes on the code (to
> > > avoid mistakes).
> >
> > My attempt at one is attached to bugzilla - SoakLRUMap. I've only run it
> > for an hour or so though.

I ran something similar for two 3-hour runs with no errors, using a
mix of Integer and String keys engineered to get a lot of reuse to
happen.  I did lots of shorter runs modifying the the number of
buckets, number of threads, and relative frequency of adds / replaces,
etc.  It was easy to get the reported errors with synchronization off;
but I saw no errors when access was properly synchronized.

> great. it's a simple test but then again, none of the problems were
> reported with obscure keys. i've set off two processes on my debian box
> one running the single thread, one the synchronised multiple thread
> variant.
>
> > I did wonder if this might be some kind of double checked locking effect
> > only seen on multi-processor systems.
>
> otis reports that he was using a beta JVM.
>
> the reports (or at least those who are using correctly synchronized
> versions of the map) coincide with the time when 1.5 JDKs were in beta.
> wonder whether it was some sort of bug in the synchronization code that
> was later fixed by sun.
>
> my debian box is single processor and i don't have access to a double
> processor machine. it's on constantly so i can leave the tests running
> for a few days. i'll report back if there are any NPEs.
>
> i suggest that if there are no NPEs in the few days, we work on the
> assumption that it's some kind of issue in the synchronization code
> (rather than the collection code). so, we then document and add a
> warning to the release notes before moving towards shipping the
> release.

+1

> i would recommend keeping the bugzilla open but adding a comment
> requesting that users ensure that the code is synchronized properly and
> that they list the full environment (JVM and platform) plus information
> about the keys they are using (and ideally a soak tests we can run).
> that may give us enough information to track down where the problem
> lies.

+1, plus include additional debugging code in release.