Stephen Colebourne wrote:
Could we publish menus.dtd at a fixed URL and solve the problem that way?

Well, this works. Change the relative declaration at the top of the navigation.xml to this:

<!DOCTYPE org.apache.commons.menus SYSTEM 'http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/build/maven-build.dtd'>

And change &common-menus to &commons. And Voila! Now commons-io has no dependency on commons-build.

This change just means that changing the definition of the shared menus across commons involves uploading the file to the website.

The main commons site will still need a dependency on commons-build at the moment, as it uses many more entities, and I haven't set those up. Components can change however.

BTW, for things like the ApacheCon image, we can just add a background image to the top of the left navigation column using the shared CSS. It will update everywhere instantly without any site regeneration!

Stephen