Torsten Curdt a écrit :
>>> But seriously: be realistic. Those people building the releases from
>>> will have subversion on their machine. And what can be simpler than a
>>> one-liner to checkout the sources? Even downloading it from an apache
>>> mirror is more work.
>>
>> People may have subversion but may not be able to use it.
>>
>> For example, I cannot use svn (nor cvs for that matter) through my
>> corporate firewall.
>
> Wait a sec - you cannot use http from your development machine?

http is fine from browsers that handle proxy with username/password,
https was allowed only recently and may be shut down at any time, svn,
ssh, cvs pserver are all filtered.
Configuring svn clients to handle proxy username/password is not
straightforward. For command-line svn it is handled by the user
configuration file for servers, not by command-line options. I don't
know about graphical clients or IDE embedded clients.

I also know another company where http filtering is more strict, with
files without any extension suppressed, files with some extensions
suppressed, files modified on the fly to comply with some rules,
user-agent is checked to allow only certified browsers to connect ...
For example on this network, these so called « security rules »
prevented me from downloading security upgrades for Debian computers
(which are simple binary files downloads on an http server) ...

>> When I need a package that is only available by
>> checking out from its repository, I have to check it out from home, put
>> it on an USB stick and copy it the next day at work. It is very
>> inconvenient.
>
> That's a truly sad story ...but we cannot provide a good solution for
> every awkward workplace.

I agree this is weird and cannot be generalized. I also agree that in
the Apache case, this can be circumvented as anonymous access to the
subversion server is http-based. I only wanted to point out that since a
version control system is not a publication system, using it for that
purpose may be tough for some people.

> What would you think - how many percent of the developers that require
> to build a project from the source have no http access to the internet?
> Well, for jci I will personally send them a tar of the checkout - if
> they have email :-p

I would only advise to have a simple and classical way to distribute: an
archive on a web server people can retrieve using a web browser.

Well, this is only my view and it is probably distorted, you can ignore it.

regards,
Luc