Vincent Massol wrote:
Hi Mario,

-----Original Message-----
From: Mario Ivankovits [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: lundi 17 juillet 2006 08:25
To: Jakarta Commons Users List
Subject: Re: [VFS] Why resolveFile API doesn't accepting URI ?

Hi!

I've just tried to use VFS and I was surprised to see that the

resolveFile

API does not have a signature accepting a URI object.

I think (this decision were felt before I jumped to VFS) the main reason
is, that vfs supports "layered" URIs. So you can have
tar:gz:http://www.......
The java URI class cant really deal with this, can it?

I think it can. See
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/net/URI.html

They give this example in the javadoc:
urn:isbn:096139210x

In addition the general format is: [scheme:]scheme-specific-part[#fragment]
I'm not an expert but I guess one could consider that the scheme is
"tar:gz:http" in your example above.

not at all : the scheme is "tar" and the scheme specific part is the remainder ; unfortunately, the URI class doesn't perform further parsing for the other parts because the RFCs doesn't specify a separator ; VFS uses "!"

--
Cordialement,

              ///
             (. .)