Aaron Bannert wrote:

The irony here is that by attempting to come to a pre-concensus the
vote and discussion turned inadvertently private, which by its mere
existance shows that the public system failed.

This reasoning would be correct if you implicitly assume that the notion of private nominations doesn't have a social impact on the perception of openess of the community.

I would much rather have
the situation we have now in the httpd or members lists where nominations
are made to everyone (and exclusively to everyone) would will have to
vote on that nomination.

While I would like to continue with open processes that are kept private only when specific events require it.

Why? mostly because of the perception given to the people.

Perception is important, expecially in building a community.

But at the end, I think there is very little difference between the two processes technically, what is important is just the perception given to the people of the community.

And I think this list shows that Jakarta is much healthier than the rest of the ASF in that respect. Even if, sometimes, they have been even *too* open.

But keeping things balanced is a very difficult thing.

--
Stefano Mazzocchi                               <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>