Sander Striker wrote:

> Also consider the people that are subscribed to the announce list, all 8304
> of them.  I'm sure they didn't sign up to an announcement list to receive
> 43k emails.  If they had wanted that, they would have subscribed to a
> newsletter... ;).

after any announcement to any apache mailing list, there
is always an immediate flurry of unsubscriptions.  it would
be interesting to see if the volume is any greater or less
after large ones like the newsletter.

long ago, when the original httpd announce@apache.org got
repurposed into a general announcement list, did we say
anything about what subscribers could expect?  do we say
anything about it now on the page where people learn about
the lists?  are we meeting the expectations we set thereby,
if we *do* set any?

i agree in that i think people have been coming down a little
hard on tetsuya about this.  i disagree with and am disappointed
in his position that he can't or won't work with others to find
a happy medium, that he'll do this his (culture's) way or not at
all.  however, maybe i'm misinterpreting what he said (the
cultural thing, after all ;-); in any event, it's his prerogative
and choice.  i appreciate the energy and effort he put into
it, even if i *did* get annoyed at getting essentially the same
messages (about providing content for the newsletter) about a
dozen times from all the apache lists i'm on. :-)

tetsuya has a lot of energy, and i think we are seeing the common
decay into inertia and conservatism common to groups as they grow
and age.  imho, we should work against this tendency, and seek to
empower people (or at least help them find appropriate ways to
use all that energy) rather than stifle them with policies and
bureaucracy.
--
#ken    P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"