I think one thing folks are asking for is an [EMAIL PROTECTED],
one where idle questions and chitchat about cool solutions and code for
our servers and sites would be shared.

But I agree with Justin, beyond this purpose, I just don't see the need to
replace the vital external lists that already exist in the java/perl/php/python
worlds, etc.

I'd love to see this as the starting point for the python.apache.org community that groups together the python projects that Apache has in one place so people can find them (whether this is in the style of Jakarta or just a "federation" that points to the projects is a matter of details, oversight etc). The success of Jakarta is nothing short of astounding - people think opensource Java, they think jakarta.apache.org. That's fantastic and while we've had to work on a number of organizational issues to make the project work, don't let that distract from the success that the project has had and continues to have.

I love the idea of starting to build a python based community at Apache because I believe it will lead to creating more high quality software at Apache for the python community which in turn is good for Apache.

I'm not an Apache member so I can't really offer to help provide oversight for the list (I am on the Jakarta PMC but I don't think that's relevant). I can volunteer to help moderate the list if that's needed though. I'd love to see this get kick started and I am prepared to put my free time towards helping where I can.

For the record, I don't actually program in Python but it's still a great idea.

Bill

Adrian Sutton. ---------------------------------------------- Intencha "tomorrow's technology today" Ph: 38478913 0422236329 Suite 8/29 Oatland Crescent Holland Park West 4121 Australia QLD www.intencha.com