Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> Mailing lists without PMC oversight should be treated with extreme caution.
> Lists without the necessary oversight might expose the ASF to unwanted
> liability.  The ASF isn't a personal soapbox medium: it's meant to
> facilitate collaborative software projects.

Agree, on all of those points, with bells on.

> For example, this list (community@) is a *horrible* waste of time that adds
> little value: almost every topic here has a more appropriate list elsewhere
> in the ASF (or, ideally, outside of the ASF).

Disagree. There are many topics that need to be on a list
that reaches across projects. I often have issues that i
want to raise with a broader audience. Sure, we need to
think about it and send to other lists as appropriate.

> But, people seem to use this
> list as a dumping ground and are often too lazy to think
> about what the
> 'proper' list is - instead they just post to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Agree. People need to be discerning. We should either just
ignore inappropriate postings or ask the poster to desist.
The community should moderate them.

BTW, i thought that Antonio's alert about another potential M$
attack was warranted. He seems to care for the ASF as a whole.
On which other list is he going to alert us all?

--
David Crossley