On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 9:46 PM, H. Nikolaus Schaller <h...@goldelico.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Am 24.10.2017 um 20:43 schrieb Matthias Weiß <i...@codeandcreate.de>:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > i also backed on one.
> >
> > I like the cooperation with gnome/kde projects and the focus on matrix.
>
> Yes, this are important steps.
>
> Gnome/KDE could theoretically just be some
>
>         apt-get install gnome
>
> on the GTA04. I never had the idea to try:)
>
> Probably it will be a little slow and more importantly the applications and
> widgets
> are not optimized for the portrait screen format and rather low pixel density.
>
> So it will be almost impossible to operate. Unless someone is heavily
> modifying
> the code. That seems to be the case with the KDE/Gnome & Purism partnership
> that
> they now start to do something.

KDE has had some projects for providing mobile-optimized Plasma UI
since KDE 4, while GNOME Shell feels like a tablet UI even on the
desktop. I think both can be used already on some Android phones via
compatibility layers like libhybris.

The only problem is that both are heavily relying on OpenGL (ES)
acceleration, and I think that's the main differentiating point
between GTA04 and Librem 5 when it comes to software support - free
drivers for GLES on the GPU.

(Plasma should be possible to run without OpenGL with QtQuick's 2D
renderer that has been open sourced with Qt 5.6 IIRC, but that's
definitely not a well-supported setup. May be worth some tinkering
though to check how it works on GTA04 :))
https://plasma-mobile.org/

BTW. What's the situation with PowerVR closed drivers on GTA04 with
current kernels? Unfortunately I got slightly out of touch these days,
time to catch up :)

Cheers,
--
Sebastian Krzyszkowiak, dos