Hi Jacques,

I think Chinese should be universally adapted, but before you flame
me I'll tell you why.

I know of players who thought Go might be an interesting game, but
gave up quickly when they realized they could never play by Japanese
rules.

Even though they eventually could have learned to play by Japanese
rules, it's not possible for 2 beginners to correctly play and score a
game by these rules.   And when someone comes along to do it for
them, they are horrified by what seems to their limited perception
to be gross unfairness.

By far, Chinese is more intuitive and natural.  Japanese rules are
based on some very non-intuitive concepts - that it really does
come out the same as Chinese scoring (within a point or two) appears
to be magic to the uninitiated.

To strong players who are immersed in the Japanese rules,  it may
seem to be more intuitive and natural,  but so is anything that
you want to get used to - it's like indenting style in C,  and
why there is style jokingly referred to as the "one true brace
style."   If it's not YOUR brace style it somehow seems inferior.

I wonder how many GO players have been lost forever because of
the Japanese rules?   It may not matter to most casual players,
you may not care one iota about this,  but what's good for the
majority is usually good for everyone.

The issue of dead stones is a non-issue.   I'm not advocating
playing games out to the bitter end.   CGOS of course does this
because it's simple and creates the least amount of problems,
which by itself should tell you something.

But Chinese rules as played by good players doesn't involve this
kind of tedium.   I'm not advocating that games be played out
to the bitter end and this isn't what the debate is about.

Of course it can be argued that Chinese encourages a more extended
game, because you get severely punished under Japanese rules for
not knowing which groups are dead.

But when all things are considered,  Chinese rules is better for
the game in general.   I do feel there is significant snobbery
the GO community about this,  although I don't claim you are
like this.   It is as if the Japanese have an elitist attitude
where they don't care if the peon's don't understand the rules,
it's not for the feeble-minded anyway.

I think the fact that Japanese rules is used more than Chinese
must be a historical accident.    It's been said that if Alien
beings ever contacted us, it's likely they would be GO players
due to the simplicity of the rules.   My guess is that they
would play by Chinese rules.

Of course I don't expect the world to adapt Chinese rules because
Japanese is ingrained.

I want to tell you a little about Chess notation in the USA.
In the 1970's  US players used a different system for recording
games called "descriptive notation."    You would record moves
like  N-Kb3 meaning Knight to kings bishop 3.   In algebraic
that is Nf3 or Nf6 if you are black.     It reminds me
somehow of Japanese rules in GO, I'm not sure why but maybe
because it was traditional and entrenched.   Or because it
was less explicit, N-KB3 could mean different things depending
on the context,  like in Japanese you can't always tell who is
winning by looking at the board.

There was much resistance changing over to algebraic, and a lot
of old timers complained loudly.   I even heard some threaten
to give up Chess.   There was a huge emotional attachment and
to them algebraic was just insane and crazy.   Many seemed to
believe it would ruin the game.    But a lot of players didn't
care - they knew it had nothing to do with the game itself.

I was one who quickly embraced it - I just felt it was superior
but I didn't care that much.   My first chess program had an
option to use either notational style.

- Don