On 1, Jan 2007, at 12:15 PM, Jacques BasaldĂșa wrote:

And now remember how this discussion started: There was a proposal
to penalize pass moves made by Lukasz Lew.

If that proposal is implemented, Japanese programs will no longer
loose one or two points against a better ruleset adapted bot, but
they would loose dozens of points. They will frequently loose won
games. Maybe some programs can easily switch from Chinese to
Japanese, but some others may not. Anyway, outside computer go,
people understands go as Japanese. Beginners find it more complicated,
but when they understand, they see its just concentrating on the only
interesting part. A natural evolution of the game. When they are 10kyu
or better they normally agree what is alive and what is not. If they
don't, its probably worth playing out.

I still think Chinese rules are better today for computer tournaments!
But, of course, without penalizing pass moves. I hope that the day when
computers evolve to Japanese rules as humans did, is near, but that
cannot be forced. It is required that all programs agree when scoring
games. At least: *when* nothing more can be won and what is *alive*
and what is not at that moment.

and