Willing to accept the "intuitive proof" for the moment, what I see is that
the key differences are that

1) there is no komi (black giving points to white for playing first)
2) there is a 2 point penalty for each living group.

Otherwise it does look like this is similar to any other Go rules that
include positional super-ko.

My favorite line:

"this is a great book if you're a serious mathematician, and a completely
baffling one otherwise."

Cheers,
David