> I'm a little confused.   If I operate with no parameters it works ok,

No parameters means --19

> but if I do ./mogo --7  (for instance) it goes into some kind of
> self-training mode.

Did you see a --7 option on the manual? :-p
There is no "--7" option, nor a "--13" one. You should put a --9 or a --19.
BTW, I am not sure this version can actually play in 7x7 (maybe, maybe
not). For the 13x13, I guess the --19 is more appropriate.

> If I go with no command line options, I can set any board using gtp
> commands but I can't change the number of processes used.

The number of processes can only set using --nbThreads x in the
command line. It really does not work for you? That is puzzling!

Sylvain