Ok,

Sorry for all the trouble.    I didn't know you HAD to type a level
option.

I can now do ./mogo --9 --nbThreads 2

I think I was a bit confused by the self-train initialization message
which appears whether it's accepting gtp commands or not.

If you do ./mogo --nbThreads 2  as you say it starts doing some kind of
training and it doesn't respond to GTP but as you say this is normal.

./mogo --19     does work correctly.   Even if I then type boardsize 7
or some other boardsize.    This is all quite a bit confusing - but I
think I have a working version of mogo.

Thanks!!!

- Don