>Am I making *any* sense?  If so, you may need some sort of psychiatric help,
>or alternatively, you could do me the favor of explaining how to ask for what
>I want or even how to actually get it.  :)

Most computer applications use uniform randomness, but it sounds like
what you want is normally distributed randomness, with mean = 50
and variance to be specified.  Changing the variance changes the slope
of the curve and in effect, the degree to which is is bunched near the
mean.

Given that computer "random" numbers are uniform, you
need to transform them into normally distributed numbers.

Try this:  http://www.taygeta.com/random/gaussian.html

I didn't fully parse it, but it looks like a reasonable source.