Had rules like this been in affect in earlier years, where you limit
participants to commodity hardware, we would have never seen Cray Blitz,
Deep Blue,  Bebe,  Belle and others that were a very important part of
computer chess history.

This comes down to whether you are trying to turn this into a
programming contest or a classic style computer chess style competition,
where it's all about the best computing system, not just the software.
In my opinion, this is how it should be because you cannot make this
contest "fair" unless you do the following:

  1. Forbid programming teams - because having a team of authors is an
"unfair" advantage if this is supposed to be a programming contest.

  2. Require everyone to use the same exact computing system.

  3. Forbid wealthier programmers from using clusters for testing
because that is unfair too.

I think this is pretty silly - it's not really in the spirit of what
these have been about in past years.

- Don