terry mcintyre wrote:
> I notice that the 2008 icga chess tournament is limited to 8 cores.
>
> David Levy's justification seems curious to me. He mentions that an
> early microcomputer held its own against a mighty mainframe, and that
> many top chess programs run on PCs, but he wishes to discourage being
> able to "buy the title" by using larger clusters of computers.

The computer chess forums are ablaze with protests, because as you have
noticed, the rule makes no sense, is vague, and can't be effectively
enforced.

The claim that you can "buy the title" right now makes no sense, as it's
a lot cheaper to buy a small cluster of standard workstations than to
buy an 8 core Skulltrail PC. That's also ignoring the difficulty of
getting anything working effectively on a large number of CPUs.

It effectively means that the ICGA thinks parallel computing is a dead
area of research. *Cough*

The decision seems to have been cast in stone, with no amount of protest
still being able to reverse it. It's also very telling that the people
in favor of this restriction don't even want to make public who they are.

--
GCP