On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Claus Reinke <claus.rei...@talk21.com>wrote:

> >The purpose of a handicap games is to allow a 50% chance of either
> >contestant winning. .. Programs do not care,
>
> Are you sure?-) I haven't got round to moving beyond a plain MC bot yet,
> where the effect is rather striking, but less naive bots also depend on
> win-rate
> for their move evaluations.
>
> The effect is that the bot is only "interested" in a narrow range of fairly
> balanced games: if it gets too far behind, or too far ahead, its play
> becomes
> fairly random. The reason being that small differences in score may not
> sufficiently affect the win/lose ratio to be distinguishable (it would take
> longer sequences of such better moves to change the win/lose outcome),
> so good and bad moves are getting lumped together in the evaluation.

I once made the argument that MCTS bots would not play handicap games well
based on this same argument.   I got a fairly strong reaction from the group
on this.   Many said it would make no difference and that the really strong
bots would play just as hard even if they were started with a technically
lost game (from the handicap.)

I think the counter argument was that as long as the bot didn't believe it
was completely losing,  it would play close to it's full potential.   I
still disagree and I feel that the statistics generated from the playouts
are going to be more accurate when chances are nearly equal.

It's not that I think a strong bot would play horribly,  I just think they
will play under the wrong assumptions and that their performance would not
match their true strength and that the handicap system would be at least
somewhat broken with respect to them.   The way it would manifest itself is
that a bot could not accept the full handicap indicated by it's strength
difference.     For instance if our bots ever became 9 dan strong,   they
could not give 8 stones to a 1 dan player, even though a human 9 dan would
be expected to play even with a 1 dan at this handicap.

I admit that the effect of this could be too small to worry about.    The
handicap system is imperfect anyway,  it's almost a coincidence that it
works as well as it does.

> However, handicap games are rather different from non-handicap games,
> and bots don't care how a balance is achieved, so one might simply use
> numeric handicaps. Only that a large numeric handicap will have a bad
> effect on win-rate-based bots' evaluation abilities - the weaker bot,
> seeing a large numeric advantage, will play even more weakly. So one
> might have to phase in awareness of handicap gradually, adjusting it
> during the game (as the stronger bot gets ahead in the game, more of the
> handicap gets added to keep the evaluation and gameplay interesting).
>
> Which does sound rather complicated. But it reminds me of a suggestion
> I made a long time ago for human games(*), which might be easier to adopt
> in this context: when a player/bot is far enough ahead that even a double
> move by its opponent will at best catch up, the stronger player can simply
> pass. At the end of the game, any difference in the number of passes is
> counted as handicap, and recorded together with the plain score/result.
>
> It would allow stronger bots to keep weaker bots in play for longer,
> when the remainder of the game would otherwise be a continued
> sigh "oh, if its programmer had only implemented early resign..".

The solution is to simply play for the best total territory score.   The
bot's would have to be modified to play this way and of course we know it
makes them weaker but the game is never over until no further progress is
possible.     With some creativity a bot could probably be modified to play
in such a way that it was not substantially weaker by doing this.

I think some bots have enough knowledge imposed on them that they don't
revert to random-like play, even when it's clear who will win.