Álvaro Begué: <7b0793ea0910140721l2819723bl12af6c1c3dd9...@mail.gmail.com>:
>We should let go of this idea that artificial neural networks have
>anything to do with the brain. ANNs are just a family of parametric
>functions (often with too many parameters for their own good) and
>associated tuning algorithms ("learning" is a bit pretentious).
>Perhaps they took vague inspiration in a cartoonish version of the
>brain, but that's about it.

As I wrote before, if you want general purpose approximater, use RL
or SVM which performs much better than ANNs.

>People tried to make flying machines by imitating birds for a long
>time. Planes and helicopters fly, but not like birds do it. Similarly,
>I believe that whenever we figure out how to make machines that play
>go well, they will not do it like a brain does it.

There are so many flying objects in the worlds such as leaves,
bats, bees, not only birds.  People can observe and compare them and
then extract the essence of "flying".  This is not the case of
"thought".

Moreover, if we really wants flying machines like birds, say, more
silent, gentle and elegant, perhaps we have to observe birds more
precisely.  It's possible that thinking machines are the case.

Hideki