This fluctuating sentiment on artificial neural networks is a bit weird;
popularity comes and goes in waves, and many academics appear to be just
following the hype. Most of the stuff I learned on ANN's in the 90s and
early zeros just works, and now we can see that if one throws huge
computational power at it, it even works extremely well! Sure there have
been a few new tricks added, but for the most of it the deep learning hype
just feels like one big 90s connectionists revival party.

Over the years (when they were out of grace) I've had plenty of good
results with ANN's in my Go programs (Steenvreter & Magog), I just never
went for the depths that are now feasible with modern hardware (but then
again, at least my app runs well on a phone:-)).

I am amazed by how far the AlphaGo team was able to push it, but the
general approach doesn't come as a surprise. If anything is a surprise to
me, it's the things they could leave out, and still have it work so well...

Erik