Because the Zip drive came up as C:.  That's the way things work.  Do not ever
install a Zip drive until after the hard drive has been _completely_ prepped.
If you are working on an existing computer, disconnect the Zip drive before
installing a new hard drive.

And the CD drive came up as D:

You might get away with first formatting and partitioning the hard drive, so
that the drive would be recognized by the boot from the OS product CD, and it
would then come up as C:, but the Zip drive likely would then come up as D:,
before the CD drive comes up as E:.

On the other hand, having the boot drive as E: is likely to make it more
difficult for any Trojan to compromise it.   And having the boot drive as E:
works just fine.

Why does it do that?  Because it is designed that way?  Why was it designed
that way? Dunno!

Fred Holmes