I have had it explained to me this way.

Most of the low end motels etc. cater to a traveling public. People who will travel, stay at a price point place and then move on. Some will have a frequent stayers club others will not, but to them marketing free Broadband access is a selling point.

For the higher end hotels/convention places their selling point is to the business customer. Someone who is traveling on an expense account so they will try and get all they can out of the business customer (because he is not spending his/her money but the corp is)

This may or may not be reality but it has been an explanation I have seen.

By the way I complained about a motel that advertised free broadband access but was unable to make it work, for their false advertising. I would not have chosen it for a trip if it had not had it. Of course in todays atmosphere of non existent customer service I got absolutely no response.

Stewart