I am sorry to hear about your health situation.

I think you are drawing exactly the wrong conclusions
about the conclusions for the health care system.

First of all, I agree that the UK, Canada, Australia
are all unnecessarily stingy health care system.
The reason for that (as far as I can tell) is because
their political system tend to unduly favor conservatives
who in turn try to keep Health Service funds low (compared
to the other health systems in the First World - all of them
except the US, government run)
Do you know how, for instance, what the situation in
Germany is like for orphan drugs? (I don't, I should
look it up).

Anyway, orphan drugs is actually an example of market failure
and a good case could be made that the government should
have a nationalized pharmaceutical company to manufacturing
them and the R&D expense of developing should come out
of the government R&D budgets - which, IIRC, is where most
of the expense of orphan drugs comes from. It also occurs
to me, that jacking up the price on a drug for which there
is no market allows the drug companies to get bigger tax
breaks when they give it away.

Even so, medical resources are expensive, involving both
material and labor inputs that can be exceedingly scarce.
If it were in principle possible to allocate all the money
needed to avoid tough, "who lives, who dies", rationing
dilemmas, it would still takes year to put such a system
into place (assuming it is possible).

My brother-in-law died in his early 30's because he had
decided to pay for a crappy insurance policy and it delayed
him from getting to doctor in a timely way (it wasn't cancer
but DVT,
a doctor's visit days before his death literally might have saved his
life).  As many as 200,000 people in the US die from it each year.
That's my health care story.