-----Original Message-----
From: Computer Guys Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rev. Stewart
Marshall
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2008 9:34 PM
To: COMPUTERGUYS-L@LISTSERV.AOL.COM
Subject: Re: [CGUYS] Comcast puts on the brakes

In 1984 Judge Green forced AT&T to divest itself of the baby
bells.  They all became separate and independent companies who no
longer had to buy equipment from AT&t etc.

After 1984 Western Electric became AT&T manufacturing (I know my dad
worked for them at this time)  The plants got smaller and smaller
because the baby bells did not have to buy from mama bell anymore and
all did their own thing.  I believe that there are no phones
manufactured in the US anymore.  Most of the old Western plants are all
closed.

Later on A&T manufacturing got spun off as Lucent, they combined with
Avaya (sic) and then they got absorbed by Alcatel.

AT&T got ealner and worse off.

The Baby Bells have become bigger than their parent and yes they are
converging back.  No doubt about it, but the new AT&T is not the old
AT&T.

Stewart

At 11:21 PM 9/17/2008, you wrote:
>>By the way the AT&T they talked about in the article no longer
>>exists.  The new AT&T is actually one of the baby bells that was
>>divested in 1984.
>
>Are you sure about that?  Start by clicking on some of the links.
>
>You should be done reading by say, late October.  And I know
>you're a fast reader.
>Early in my career an older and wiser employee said, "You think
>the phone company broke up?  You're wrong."
>Culturally Verizon/Nynex/Bell Atlantic/GTE/MCI and SBC/Bell
>South/Ameritech/AT&T/Pacific Telesis, and Qwest are basically
>all Bell System components.
>
>Except that now they all play in all arenas as far as transport is
>concerned.  Equipment and R&D are still separate but convergence
>is inevitable.
>
>We are heading in the direction of what we had before all of the
>regulation.
>
>I'm going to get in trouble for saying that.

**
>**  policy, calmness, a member map, and more at http://www.cguys.org/
**
**