I don't know anything about a combined modem/router. I gave up on Comcast modems many years ago and have used a Motorola Surfboard ever since. It has been flawless. I used Netgear routers with very good success for almost 5 years, but both of them became troublesome this year. I had bought a D-Link DIR655 n router at Costco, just in case, and set that up when I got sick of messing with the Netgear. It is fast and has a very strong signal and just worked, right out of the box. It has no trouble going through even a brick wall. I only go on-line with Macs and I too live in the boonies, so there is really no issue of security. If someone was tapping into my Wi-Fi they would have to park on the side of a narrow 2 lane road with no shoulder in front of my house. I also agree that G is fine if your house is not too big and doesn't have brick or metal in the walls. I also agree that you should change your default login password. Then, once everything is working, turn on some security, just to be careful.

rlsimon wrote:
I've had ATT dialup since it was acquired from IBM ...a long time.  It's too
slow and I'm fed up.  No FIOS here during my natural life per verizon.  No
DSL either as we're in the stix and too far from the switch.  Comcast
offering $24.95/mo for 768mbps speed (like DSL) cheep.  Offering TV for
$10/mo for a year (limited cable which is local channels and some other
stuff).  I don't want to rent their modem so I was gonna get a cable modem +
wifi router combo so I can take my laptop (has a/b/g internal) room2room and
would place modem/router next to computer and use ethernet to hook to router
and coax in wall to get comcast (wires already in there).  Questions:
Linksys or Netgear ...which is better?
Do I need "n" ?
What else?