The reason the Obama campaign got so upset about Joe the Plumber was that Obama told him:

Obama said, "My attitude is that if the economy’s good for folks from the bottom up, it’s gonna be good for everybody. If you’ve got a plumbing business, you’re gonna be better off if you’re gonna be better off if you’ve got a whole bunch of customers who can afford to hire you, and right now everybody’s so pinched that business is bad for everybody and I think when you spread the wealth around, it’s good for everybody."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/10/spread-the-weal.html

The campaign was embarrassed by the "spread the wealth" comment.

Sounds to me like he advocates using the tax code for wealth redistribution.

Tom Piwowar wrote:
And the other part of this is the conservative media myth that Obama said that the government should redistribute wealth. In fact, he has never said any such thing...

A common tactic of the cuckoo media. They have figured out that their audience is weak on crucial life skills. So they take a few words, move them out of context, add other words that were never spoken, and roll out their fantasy-based ideological prescriptions. Then the economy crashes. World temperatures soar. Food becomes toxic. Prescription drugs kill us. Sick children get abandoned. Allies leave us. Oops. Oh, and the greedy rich become richer. Well at least something works.