Your arguments are valid, but kind of missing the point. People are going to have to change, period, in the way they think of energy usage. Or we're going to have to pour money and energy (pun intended) into changing what we use as energy. Very large cities were created due to trade. These huge cities, due to modern transport are no longer necessary. They're just a remanent of the past that's struggling to hold on. How many cities are going broke trying to sustain their population and infrastructure? Bigger isn't always better. Didn't computers prove that? Also, "industrial capacity" is a bit of a misnomer. It's relevant if you hope to sustain the world with no change. But the world with no change in its' past structure is becoming less relevant everyday. We, as a country or world, didn't start using electricity or oil over night. It's going to take time, acceptance and a means of profitability for those who help to make it viable for the industrialized world as a whole. There have been many great ideas put forth over the years to help jump start this. There has been next to no $ put forth compared to what's been spent to keep the oil flowing. And the oil, as anyone can plainly see, is a finite resource. But like our economy is showing today, we love to put stuff off.

Jeff M