The iTunes support instructions suggest pretty much what you said.
But when I tried it, instead of rebuilding the library from the xml file it changed the xml file to match the empty library file. (no empty text file needed. It creates a new itunes file, and did nothing to a text file named iTunes Library) I tried it a couple times and it would not rebuild the library from the xml. Then I tried the reverse, just to see if it would work, and it did. It rebuilt the xml file from the iTunes Library file.
EEEEEK!
But still no dates in iTunes.

My mileage varied