Perhaps I'll trash iTunes and it's support files and start over.
There are 3 iPods I serve with this iTunes, but they are totally stocked. Then I can add to library or import as needed. I keep my audio files well organized. Everything except the last year is also on my iMac running iTunes 7 and Tiger.