t.piwowar wrote:
On Jul 26, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Jordan wrote:
But when I tried it, instead of rebuilding the library from the xml file it changed the xml file to match the empty library file. (no empty text file needed. It creates a new itunes file, and did nothing to a text file named iTunes Library)

I think the reason an empty file is supplied is to trick iTunes into thinking it is corrupt so a rebuild is triggered. Some reports even have you emptying and using the original file. What you did possibly triggers a different process.

I tried it with your empty text file as well. It was ignored. If you look at the iTunes Library file, it has it's own itunes icon. It's not a text file.
The Apple instructions don't say anything about creating a dummy file.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1451

In any case, in all this tinkering, no dates ever appeared in iTunes.