On Aug 16, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Eric S. Sande wrote:
But I'm pretty experienced and I can tell if what I'm hearing is a pony
versus a pile of pony crap.

Are you denigrating MP3 or iPods? Have you listened to an Apple lossless file on an iPod?

"Apple's lossless compression makes iTunes an audiophile's delight "
"I tested Apple Lossless Encoding using some of my favorite audiophile CDs, including a few from Reference Recordings, maker of some of the highest-quality CDs I've ever heard. I heard absolutely no difference in the sound of the CD vs. the sound of the iTunes compressed version using Apple Lossless Encoding. "
http://aroundcny.com/Technofile/texts/mac060204.html