FedEx and UPS have been using the US Postal Service for final delivery of many of their packages. This is private carriers using the _public option_ to save money.

They ship long distance on their planes or trucks to the local or regional post office. Then the postal carriers deliver packages to the final destinations--residential or business. Works for the private companies and the P.O., and keeps the delivery prices lower when the vendors are honest about the S&H charges.

I believe by law that the USPS is required to deliver mail to any residence or
business no matter where they are located within the US and it's territories.

I know of no other country where the mail service is run by private contractors?