So if there are any of those netbooks I've heard about with slightly larger keyboards, I'd certainly like to know about them.

I hear that.  Keyboard ergonomics is VERY important to me.  Most
non full-sized keyboards I've used have been unsatisfactory for
touch typing.  I'm pretty fast on a decent keyboard, less so on the
notebooks I've used.  Much less so, even on the best of the breed,
which I consider the Thinkpad T-series to be.

Unscientifically, my pinky to thumb tip (spread hand) distance is
8.5 inches.  I can just about feel comfortable on a Thinkpad T but
it's cramped.  Tactile considerations also come into play.

Mushy keys don't make it for me.  I guess I'm getting old, but I never
did get the hang of texting or whatever.  If I were you I'd check out
the one that Roy mentioned, I've never tried it, though.

I'm challenged enough on my laptops to say that a netbook isn't going
to do it for me as far as actually being able to type at a reasonable
speed.

Good luck, just my experience.