I had read that some android phones other than the
Droid don't have the 256MB application limit.  Perhaps it's
just that they have more hardwired memory.

I don't really buy your argument for memory expansion.  With
the iPod, you plug it into your computer and swap files between
it and your computer.  For a swappable memory card, you pop
out the card, pop it into your computer or attached card reader,
and swap files around.  It doesn't sound any easier to me.  And
in fact, almost all users leave the memory card in for the life of
their phone, except for upgrades.  That is the actual argument
for a swappable card:  if you can't afford a large capacity,
you buy the smaller capacity now with the prospect of putting
in a larger capacity card later.  This is where the iPhone loses,
since the equivalent upgrade would be to upgrade to a higher
capacity iPhone, paying the difference for the capacity but
keeping all your paid content, and it seems unlikely that
Apple/AT&T would allow that.  They might, if upgrading meant
resetting your contract period.

I also wouldn't hold my breath waiting for decent media apps for
the Droid, either.  Verizon is very protective of their vcast and
Rhapsody video and music markets, and likely won't allow any
apps that compete unless they can take a similarly outrageous
cut for themselves.

I have a Verizon phone and their FIOS service.  Love the FIOS,
like my phone (a higher-end LG), and hate the phone service.
The customer service is not great, either (or I have been
spoiled by Apple).

From:    mike <xha...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: It's monotheist versus pagan (It's a Windows Mobile killer)

Good stuff David, I too am on CDMA and have that limitation which sucks.

The 256 is an android problem and is on every android phone out there, has nothing to do with this being on verizon or being the moto droid phone. I've read some about this and have not seen anything regarding anti piracy,
more concerns about removing the card when stuff is running from it.
Theoretically, if someone would build an android phone with more internal memory like an iphone, all of it could be used for installs, as it stands
the android is weak on internal memory which limits apps that can be
installed, and the iphone is useless for external memory for expansion. This comes down to personal taste, if you are buying a phone soley for the
apps, you won't be buying an android phone anyway.

If you won't be missing any apps from iphone, then there is no reason to not look at this phone except it's on verizon and I'm sure they will charge for things like enabling the GPS chip as they do in their other phones. With the specs of this phones screen and it's CPU power, motorola should have
built in some killer media apps, big mistake IMO that they didn't.
Personally If I was with Verizon I'd wait for the sub 100 dollar eris, a
solid upper mid range phone although without the physical keyboard.