The android phones out now have a max onboard memory allotment of 512 megs.
Half is for the OS etc and the other is for what you want to add.  I never
had an argument for for memory expansion, I only had how it is.  Syncing
your ipod with music and pictures is much easier then anything for android,
that is a fact.  I never said it was easier, I said it comes down to
personal taste.  There is as of yet, no syncing app for android, you plug
the phone in (not sure why you would remove the memory card except you
wanted to add more steps) and the memory card comes up like any flash
drive.  Moving files amounts to dragging and dropping whatever you want, the
music app on the phone will scan for new music or load playlists (not nearly
as nice as an iphone).  With the iphone and memory you get ease of sync but
are limited to the onboard memory period.  For an android phone with an
expansion slot you get basically unlimited memory and manual syncing by
hand.  I carry a 16 gig card in my phone and have another 8 I usually have
on me, total I have 40 gigs on four cards, each about the size of your pinky
nail.  The memory allotment for apps is a different argument, apple gives
you the entirety of onboard memory for whatever you want, so you could have
gigs and gigs of apps.  Android at the moment is limiting apps to 256 megs.
If that matters to you, then it matters.  It doesn't to me.  I have an ipod
touch with 8 gigs of storage and keep less than 300 megs of apps on it, the
rest is music, movies and pics.  I've got over 25 custom installed apps on
my android phone and still have almost 100 megs left for memory, I see no
problem in a practical sense, but theoretically, yes the limit could be
reached easily by someone wanting to install every app they see.