On Nov 3, 2009, at 10:25 AM, Constance Warner wrote:

And just because something doesn't kill you outright doesn't mean that it is essentially harmless. Walmart is justly famous for killing off small town business districts and wiping out local small- business entrepreneurs. And their policy of demanding the lowest possible price from their suppliers is a big factor in exporting jobs from the U.S. to China.

Exactly right. This brings us back to the concept of the "banality of evil." Just like we are told when a plane crashes, an evil outcome is the product of a chain of events and multiple small acts of evil must be committed before the final evil event occurs. If someone breaks the chain the evil is stopped. So those who participate in that chain of events can not be excused. They have committed evil.

For example, Apple put Panic Software in a very bad place when Apple released iTunes in competition with Panic's flagship product, Audion. Panic tells the whole story on their website. Apple really had to do iTunes. Apple knew what it would do to the folks at Panic. Steve Jobs personally met with the folks at Panic and did his best to help them. I think this is a great example of how a responsible company acts and tries its best to not do evil. This is very different from how Walmart routinely crushes local businesses, suppliers (read what the did to Rubbermaid), and its employees (vs Costco's policies).