I agree, Betty.  Reliable tech news is limited.  The W Post and NY
Times have some good tech writers, but that is about as far as I go
for general US news media.  Even NPR does not have a good tech
reporter (except for Science Friday, but that is mostly science, not
tech news).  Most general print and broadcast reporters don't know
enough to report tech news reliably.  I have also cultivated some
reliable online sources, such as Ars Technica, Slashdot and a few
others.

Slashdot is my home page for SeaMonkey. It's high tech with a great sense of humor. Ars Technica is very good, but heavy to read. The Register, http://www.theregister.co.uk/, is also good, as is MIT's Technology Review, http://www.technologyreview.com/.

A friend used to write a tech column for the Baltimore Sun. After Conglomo bought the Sun, he was relegated to proofing and layout, doing his own work and picking up more from fired coworkers; it ruined his marriage. He was laid off last Spring and nobody with the tech knowledge and skills is doing the same kind of work there.

You really have to go to reputable technology publications and sites for information. Too bad that tech info is harder to find in general news. Hasn't it been that way for years [or forever]? It's just that there are more pretenders today.