In my opinion, the answer to your last question is ... the one that has been around forever... since the middle ages ... since the stone age ... since the dawn of time.

If leaders/ bosses/ chiefs of countries, towns, corporations, companies, can lead "others" to make a profit for themselves, they do it. Why wouldn't they?

That personal profit motive is POWERFUL and when the "others" don't dispute it / do the same for their own personal interests... they end up "flattened" increasingly and progressively. As unfair as that may be to a rational or humanistic mind, there is simply no equation for "too much" profit ... personal or otherwise.

Remember the word "peasant" and all that it con notates? Who says that only could happen in the middle ages?

All the media is now controlled by several mega companies. There is also huge consolidation of power in tech. Those leaders and their managers and the stock holders make oodles by doing exactly what you are complaining about. They will never suffer materially for it.

The only question is "what" you (and the rest of us "others"... the "peasants to be" ...) are going to do about it and "when".

I think ultimately it comes down to the parable in every John Ford Western. When do the peasants who have the gross numbers and ultimate power, exercise it and take back what is fairly due them from the few "black hats" that will naturally exercise power by advantage of a gun or the merits of privileged/ advantageous position or wealth.

To say what is currently happening in employment in the US doesn't make sense and is not fair is not really true.
Make sense and fairness for who?

The world operates rationally... you just have to start by looking at the right framework...drawing the rational conclusions ... making the rational choices and doing the rational thing.

ps: Not sure "rational" is the right word to use ... but the problem and question facing us is still the same...

db

Constance Warner wrote:
Hate to pour gasoline on the fire, but pretty nearly every type of job can be outsourced, shipped abroad, contracted out to a contract worker (who's actually an employee, but who doesn't get any benefits and perks), given to an illegal, or--a Washington area favorite--assigned to an unpaid or underpaid intern.

For example, editorial jobs are now being outsourced to India. So if your company's newsletter or annual report sounds slightly, well, foreign, or maybe just really, really odd--that could be why. (Editing is my bag--or one of them, anyway. And, yes, I'm now looking for a job.) Of course, as a cost-cutting measure, lots of things don't get edited at all, which is why they sound as though they were written by fourth graders who need tutoring in basic language skills.

The only thing about this story that's shocking to me is that it's happening to computer programmers and other computer personnel. We who are mush-brained liberal arts types just assumed that you tekkies were far ahead of us in the employability sweepstakes, and that you would always be much better paid--and much better treated--than we were.

One way out: political action. In the modern world, computer services of all kinds are necessary, so you aren't completely without leverage. That means computer professionals are going to have to be very politically savvy, worldly, and socially active to get out of the trap. (BTW, in my book, political action includes labor unions.)

I really wonder, though, why employers are treating programmers (and other computer professionals) so badly--it's not in their long-term best interests or their enlightened self-interest. They depend on you guys--they can't do ANYTHING without you. Besides, an editor with a grudge can't do very much damage to a company--but a computer programmer?

--Constance Warner