Yes, Apple's OS is solidly more productive in almost every way except its Finder/ Dock multitasking interface. It was revolutionary in the 80's... in the 21st century it's mediocre when compared to Windows/ Linux's windows functionality/ taskbar design. Work efficiency on an Apple decreases with direct proportion to the number of windows and projects you are working on simultaneously:

   * What's with having to scroll or expand your directory windows most
     of the time you do simple drill down lookups etc and inability to
     specifically direct exactly where you want a new folder created?
   * What's the usefulness of the Apple menu bar that morphs with each
     application and leaves apps running and consuming memory and file
     locking in place when you are done with the program but
     unknowingly only close the app window.  You have to be an
     experienced user to avoid the complications unnecessarily and
     clumsily caused by the archaic menu bar design.
   * What's with having to "stand on one foot and pat your tummy" every
     time you want to find out what windows you have launched and where
     the heck they got off to?  (Metaphor: Do we have to look in the
     glove box of our car in order to see what speed we are traveling,
     how much gas we have or even to see down the road?)  Window's
     stupidly is now going out of its way to hide things too but at
     least with the OS you can turn those hiding behaviors off.
   * What's with the taskbar icons frequently getting knocked off the
     taskbar and going poof?
   * What's with not being able to access the bottom of your windows
     because the taskbar thinks you are "talking to it."
* What's with unmounting drives by throwing them into the trash? Who is going to figure that out if they don't know it already and/
     or you can't figure out how to right click on the mounted icon in
     order to access context menus where ejects listed?
   * What's with taking decades to acknowledge that one button mice are
     primitive in usefulness and why hide the buttons now... is there
     some advantage in keeping their existence hidden and known only to
     those who know already?
   * What's with adding so much cool functionality to mouse pads that
     no one who doesn't know already what the various number of fingers
     and swipes and touch locations will do can even use or touch the
     mouse pads without unknowingly sending the computer's interface
     convulsively to who knows where and why?  Should we have to read
     the manual before sitting down to use a Mac that has a mouse pad?
   * What's with cludging on all the new user interface and mousing
     tools as work-a-rounds to these above known issues that could just
     be solved by fixing Apple's menu and taskbar... the "dashboard"
tools where most all computer users look for such functionalities.
   The essential Windows/ Linux windowing/taskbar design is elegantly
efficient in its intuitive and straight forward use and operation. If you can't beat 'em, I say join 'em.

As the inventors of so much GREAT digital technology, Apple has a TON to be prideful about but I think its (Steve Job's?) pridefullness really has unnecessarily gotten in the way in the above described ways. New invention is wonderful ... stubbornly cludging add-on work-a-round fixes while hanging on to outmoded designs in areas of basic necessity is not.

I work with or on Macs all the time and I'd love to switch to a Mac as my personal workstation for all the well known reasons but I refuse to significantly slow down my complex IT work day to do so...

If Apple comes out with a desktop interface alternative to Aqua or even a Dock alternative, someone please let me know...

db