On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 2:31 AM, Constance Warner <cawar...@his.com> wrote:

> We have a bad habit, in this country, of writing off old technologies as
> soon as something a little more advanced has been adopted by a small
> percentage of the American public.

  A lot of the older technology is the only means of retrieving
certain recorded material.  If anyone, myself included, has been
around long enough, they probably have some of this older material,
such as records and tapes, that they like to use every now and then.
If you want to digitize that older stuff, and I often do, you are
going to need the original playback equipment.

  There is the old adage that if you throw it away today, damn if
you're not going to need it tomorrow.

  Steve