On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:56 AM, tjpa <t...@tjpa.com> wrote:

> Our reality is often shaped by advertising and we don't realize that what
> most people do is not advertised (because it does not have to be). Most
> people use paygo, not the advertised contracts. Most people have simple
> cellphones.

  That depends upon what "simple" means.  Used to be that a phone that
only placed and received calls was a simple phone.  Nowadays, a phone
that does the above, plus has a camera, can send and receive text and
can even connect to the web can be considered too simple and worthy of
being replaced.  It also depends upon how much a phone users ego is
involved in the equation.  Cell phones are the bling of the monied
set.  Cell phones should be carried openly so that everyone can see
what you've got.  Indeed, one can even be shunned and/or ridiculed by
others if they do not possess the "right" cell phone.  Watch cell
phone ads and you will see how social issues, envy and lust play into
the phone ownership equation.  It's as bad as it is with cars.  It is
stupid.

  Steve