I don't know how to evaluate it, but it's often been said that the quality of
life statistics are apples and oranges among different countries.  The classic
example is that most countries simply let preemies die, they don't try to save
them.  Since they die at birth, the are _not_ recorded as an infant mortality
statistic.  The U.S.'s infant mortality statistics are high because we do try
to save preemies, but don't always succeed.  Dunno if this is true, but I'll
bet there are a lot of things like this.  And, I'll bet most government cook
these kinds of statistics.

Fred Holmes