It is not unprecedented. It exists in Japan, Korea, and other places I'm not going to look up.

I'm not going to cite numbers on how small physically Japan and Korea
are.  Compared to the US.

I won't say how much their governments pay towards supporting
telecom.

I'll say that it's apples and oranges.

You want private telecom to deliver universal broadband in the US,
you are going to have to pay for it.

One way or another.  That's your choice as a taxpayer and a voter.

If you fund me, I can deliver the technology.

I know it's not a thing that liberals want to believe, but it costs real
money to deploy that technology.  Go ahead and vote for it, I know
how to do it.  But it is going to cost real money to implement on a
wide scale.