On Sat, 2012-03-10 at 00:07 -0800, Phil Dibowitz wrote:

> That explains a lot...
>
> > 2) The remote expects us to assign it an IP address via DHCP.  I went back
> > and forth with myself on whether to require a dependency on the ISC DHCP
> > server, or whether to just write a simple DHCP server myself.  I ended up
> > just writing one myself, which I will include as a patch.  I am currently
> > still trying to figure out how to make this work smoothly.  Right now, you
> > have to manually configure the usb0 device with an IP address (e.g.,
> > 169.254.1.1) and then start the usbnet_dhcpd.  It requires you to pass the
> > Ethernet device (usb0) as a parameter when starting it.  The behavior of
> > the Windows 7 driver is actually to assign addresses to both the PC and to
> > the remote via DHCP so I am considering trying to implement that behavior
> > as it would minimize the amount of manual configuration to be done by the
> > user.  Comments?
>
> I also have gone back and forth on this a lot. My thought for the first round
> was going to be setting up ISC DHCP (or one of the others). I don't much like
> the idea of maintaining our own, even though it's pared down.

Have you guys looked at how other projects achieve similar goals? Not
the same, but similar...the one that occurred to me is how
virt-manager / libvirt handle it, since they need the host system to act
as a DHCP server for guest systems. I believe libvirt uses dnsmasq for
this. It occurs to me that dd-wrt also uses dnsmasq. So it seems like
maybe that's a good candidate to use when you need a plug-in DHCP server
like this.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey